background

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hunter's wife

So I decided I am not a good wife of a hunter. There are amazing women around me that support and actually go hunting with there husbands. Not me and my cute hubby says he wouldn't want me there anyway! So Barrett took off early Friday for the combo Elk and Deer tag he was so excited to get! The plan was Friday thru Tuesday all along and I thought I would be fine with that(if he was employed.) But of course as he is packing and getting all his gear ready, I start to get quiet. Barrett sees the frustration and says "do you want me to come home Sunday?" I reply, "well no, I just don't understand why it takes 5 days, that is a really long time." Barrett: "OK I will come home Sunday." Ash:"Really it is OK, that was the plan all along and I will be fine. Don't come back for me, but what if you get a job interview or offer." Barrett: "I am coming back Sunday."
So as he called to confirm today that I need to pick him up and he will be there Sunday at 1, I was kind of happy, but also feeling bad. He hasn't got anything yet!

Today though Brock brought it all back into perspective for me. I was sitting down after dragging all 3 kids to the dollar store as promised, buy milk and pizza for dinner, and then in and out of the tub after practically mopping the whole floor due to splashing, to fold some of thier laundry. I started to explain to Brock how hard it is to do this parenting thing alone and how tired I am. I told him I really needed his help! He said "Mom I will help you" and started folding laundry with me, which lasted all of 2 items. Then he asked "did you not want Daddy to go hunting?" I replied, "Well no, yes, I guess so, I think it is good to have hobbies and I want him to enjoy his time and have fun. I know he loves it. It is just hard to do it alone." Thinking nothing of it and expecting to never hear about it again we carried on. We did our regular bedtime routine and were saying prayers, Sammi wanted Brock to help her, so he did. It started out the same old thing then in closing he shocked me when he said, "we ask thee to give Mom help from the Lord." I felt the tears coming, but tried to hold it together to give him a huge hug and say thank you for that special prayer! I am so amazed how kids can bring it back to perspective and say it like it is! I thought wow, even Brock knows what I should do. Have I prayed for help while Barrett is gone? No. I have prayed for protection for us both and to watch over us and a job. I didn't simply ask for help. All we have to do is ask and it shall be given us. What a good reminder for me! I am so grateful for my Lord and I know He can and will help me. I am not the perfect wife or mother and I don't have to be. But I do need to be willing to ask for help. Thanks Brock!! I just wanted to journal that so I could remember that special moment!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

That's so sweet Ashley! We're lucky to have sweet kids that get it when we're so frustrated! Call me sometime when you're having a bad day! Mine all seem bad!

holly said...

I am not a hunters wife either! So glad that Jason is not a die hard! Sammi's party was WAY SUPER FUN AND COOL according to Kenz thanks for the invite!

The Pingels said...

That is adorable. Easton helps put things into perspective for me too, maybe its the 1st child's job or something. Scott is gone for 4 days on interviews, so I totally know how you feel. Its always hard to be a single parent, even if only for a few days.

Amy and Kris said...

What a sweet & tender moment! Oh my gosh, I am all teary-eyed just reading that post! Thank you for sharing! Really does put things into perspective!! I'm a single parent this week so that was great for me to read!